Two young men travelled from Verwood to Bournemouth, to listen to Pastor George Jeffreys who was conducting a series of revival meetings in the south coast of England. In these meetings these men witnessed a number of miraculous healings under the ministry of this healing evangelist who had earlier founded the Elim Pentecostal Movement. Due to their own encounter at these revival meetings, they returned to Verwood and prayed for others. This led to testimonies of healings and powerful encounters with Jesus in Verwood.
Out of these miracles and healings was birthed Bethel Chapel. The first official service in this church took place in April 1931, under the spiritual guidance of its first ever pastor, “Winston Shearing’.